Gulf of Georgia
Cannery National Historic Site
The Gulf of Georgia Cannery stands at the mouth of the Fraser River,
a reminder of the early West Coast fishery. Some of the wooden buildings
of this complex date to 1894.
The Cannery processed
salmon primarily although later canned herring. Workers came from
many parts of Europe as well as China and Japan. Large numbers of
first nations people also worked here. The work was seasonal and when
the fleet came in with its catch the workers worked long hours in
the cold and damp. In a given day, as man as 1500 fish were prepared
The Cannery has been used
as a cannery, reduction plant and net loft. The cannery is a complex
of buildings including the main cannery building, icehouse, vitamin
oil shed, drum storage shed, watchman's house and lead foundry. The
structures are of wood frame and heavy timber construction and are
supported, for the most part, by wooden pilings.
The complex contains approximately
10,000 objects related to the salmon, herring and halibut fisheries
and a collection of machinery dating back to 1900.
The Gulf of Georgia Cannery
ceased operations in 1975 and is now operated as a museum.
Gulf of Georgia Cannery National Historic Site
Richmond, British Columbia
Telephone: (604) 664-9009
Fax: (604) 664--9008