EPISODE 8: "Watari Dori:
A Bird of Passage"
- When did Irene's father
come to Canada? What business did he start? And where?
- Why did Japan's attack on
Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941, have such a significant impact on
Canadians of Japanese ancestry living on the west coast. What happened?
- Why was education so important
to Japanese Canadians and who provided higher education in the camps?
- Who was Winifred Awmack?
What did she do?
- What happened to the property
of Japanese Canadians - the cars, homes, businesses? And how did Irene's
- At the end of the war, what
options did the Canadian Government give to those in the internment
- Why was Irene apprehensive
about returning to Japan and how was she treated?
- Why did Irene's father want
her to return to Canada and why was she allowed back?
- How long after the war did
it take before the rights of Japanese Canadians were restored?
- In the Japanese culture,
what is the symbolism behind launching a paper lantern?
Top of Page