EPISODE: 2 "The Force
of Hope: The Legacy of Father McGauran"
- When did Bernard McGauran
arrive in Canada? When was he ordained?
- Why did so many Irish immigrate
in the 1840s?
- Why was the Canadian public
so worried about Irish immigration?
- What had the Irish done
in 1845 to endear themselves to those living in Québec?
- Why was Grosse Isle established?
- Explain why the summer of
1847 is considered the "Summer of Sorrow" and what Father McGauran witnessed
his first day at Grosse Isle?
- How did the Irish Famine
influence the shipping trade between Canada and Europe?
- How many Irish officially
died in the summer of 1847? Unofficially?
- Describe what happens when
you are ill with typhus? What is your chance of survival once contracted?
- Why did Father McGauran
go on to found Saint Brigid's Home?
Top of Page